Mary Ann Summers is a girl from Kansas, who was stranded on the island along with the six other castaways. She was played by actress Dawn Wells, who continued the role in the three NBC-TV made for TV movies, Rescue from Gilligan's Island, The Castaways on Gilligan's Island and The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island. She was voiced by Jane Webb in the The New Adventures of Gilligan. Dawn Wells voiced the character as well as that of Ginger in Gilligan's Planet.
Mary Ann's personality is perky, nice, upbeat, lovable and sensitive. Throughout the series it is shown that she cooks the most often and everyone probably prefers her cooking to anyone else's, she is usually the one that does all the chores. Mary Ann is the most down to earth of all women on the island.
Mary Ann has mulitiple oufits seen throughout the show, an example of one is a short orange, dress and matching high stiletto heels. Another is a blue turtleneck, jeans, shoes and a straw hat, she wears various outfits throughout the show, though. In The Second Ginger Grant, she is seen in a very sexy leopard skin outfit (which might have actually been Ginger's), and also in a very tight blue gown and matching high heels as she performs as Ginger. Her outfits often expose her abdomen while covering up her navel.
Mary Ann brings a few things with her to the island, mostly a few pieces of clothing and a sewing kit.
- Mary Ann was based on Dorothy from the film The Wizard of Oz.
- It is said throughout the series that she knows a lot about gardening, coming from a farm in Kanas.
- On the island, she usually makes coconut cream pies for Gilligan, as prizes, or gifts of gratitude.
- In the early opening sequence, neither Mary Ann's name or the Professor's was mentioned. It was mentioned that Bob Denver successfully petitioned to include their character's names in the opening sequence when the series opener was re-created for the color episodes.
- Although she played the part of a teenager, Wells was older than her fictional character her actual age being about 26.
- Her favorite radio soap operas are Old Doctor Young and Blaze Of Noon.
- In the pilot episode, it was revealed she was employed at the general store in Winfield, Kansas.
- Beauty Is as Beauty Does is a special episode for all Mary Ann fans; in this episode, she loses her bathing suit in the lagoon, has trouble with her "unrehearsed speech" and steps in a puddle of glue on stage, causing her high heel to get stuck and ending her bid for Miss Castaway.