|Don't Bug the Mosquitoes|
|Season 2, Episode 12|
|The musical group The Mosquitoes (Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving) come to the Island to get away from their fans.|
|Air Date:||December 9, 1965|
|Written By:||Brad Radnitz|
|Directed By:||Steve Binder|
|The Chain of Command||Gilligan Gets Bugged|
Don't Bug The Mosquitoes is the twelfth episode of the Second season. It aired December 9, 1965.
The rock-band, the Mosquitoes, come to the island to escape their fans. The castaways get ready to leave until they discover that the Mosquitoes aren't leaving for months. They then make life so stressful for them that Bingo, the leader, announces they're leaving tomorrow. However the next morning the castaways discover that they meant to the other side of the island. The band then announces that they are now staying even longer. Gilligan, the Skipper, Mr. Howell, and the Professor make their own band, the Gnats, but are terrible. Ginger, Mary Ann, and Mrs. Howell make a band of their own, the Honeybees, in hope that the Mosquitoes will like it. However the plan backfires, and the Mosquitoes leave without them since they have enough competition.
- Bob Denver as Gilligan
- Alan Hale as The Skipper
- Jim Backus as Thurston Howell III
- Natalie Schafer as Mrs. Howell
- Tina Louise as Ginger
- Russell Johnson as The Professor
- Dawn Wells as Mary Ann
- Les Brown, Jr. as Bingo
- George Patterson as Bango
- Ed Wade as Bongo
- Kirby Johnson as Irving
- Jackie DeShannon as Mary Ann's Singing Voice (voice only)
- The name, "Mosquitoes," and the music might be a parody on the 60s band, "The Beatles."
- One of the songs The Mosquitoes play in their free concert for the islanders is "He's a Loser."
- The Mosquitoes, even though they only appear once, are considered recurring characters because their music appears in many of the episodes on the radio.
- The Wellingtons, who play the Mosquitoes, actually play the song "The Ballad of Gilligan's Island."
- When introducing The Honeybees, Mr. Howell imitates Ed Sullivan.
- The Honeybees sing their song "You Need Us" to an instrumental record played on the record player, which operates with electricity.
- The men on Gilligan's island try to be rock musicians, but in a scene deleted from the end in the syndicated version, they are so bad Ginger remarks to Mary Ann that if the world is lucky they'll never be rescued!
- At the end, where Gilligan gets kicked in the shin and then bonked on the head by the Skipper and Mr. Howell, the Mosquitoes record album he is holding is just a hollow prop.
- It's never revealed how the Mosquitoes play they their guitars and amplifiers without electricity on the island.
- This episode is ranked as the #2 most liked episode, according to E!
- Bongo: "I thought you said we were going to get away from our fans!"
Bango: "Yeah, you said this island was deserted, and we'd be all alone!"
Bingo: "Now, how did I know it was inhabited? That helicopter pilot told me this place was out of sight, man!"
Bango: "We MUST be way out! Get a load of these characters!"